Building on our success
Following the positive strides made through the Buffalo Building Reuse Program and other complementary studies and efforts, the focus of Buffalo’s Race for Place is to make our downtown and other key urban areas more appealing, exciting and connected.
Through the improvement and maintenance of public infrastructure and the innovation and integration of “smart city” technology, we can continue to position Buffalo as an attractive home for businesses, entrepreneurs, new talent and residents alike.
This initiative is being spearheaded by City of Buffalo Mayor and Buffalo Urban Development Corporation Chairman, Byron W. Brown, through key leadership and administrative support
Progress through collaboration
“This effort is a big deal for talent attraction and infrastructure development in the City of Buffalo. Buffalo’s Race for Place is an outside-the-box strategy that demonstrates the type of aggressive response that regions must undertake to stay relevant in the global race for talent, while at the same time ensuring economic equity and inclusivity.”
Brandye Merriweather, Vice President – Downtown Development
Buffalo Urban Development Corporation
Our preliminary focus includes
- Advancement of the downtown infrastructure plan, streetscape improvements, and placemaking in key investment corridors and nodes
- The strengthening of anchors located along the Main Street "Knowledge Corridor"
- Progressive land-use policies that prioritize traffic calming, demand and load management, and pedestrian and bicycle friendly activity, as well as promotion of public transit usage, and continuation of Cars Sharing Main Street
- Implementation of additional Smart City technology solutions and capabilities within such corridors and beyond
- Additive public safety solutions to further community and new resident confidence
- Increased urban vibrancy and activation through implementation and feedback inputs from citizens and employees/employers (via City of Buffalo, Buffalo Urban Development Corporation, and community outreach)
- Integration with existing talent attraction activities, organizations, and region-wide campaigns, such as Be in Buffalo
News & Events
Get the latest stories, progress updates, and upcoming events for Buffalo’s Race for Place initiative.
NewsTax deal would benefit everyone
Jemal teams up with the IDA to put cars on lower Main Street
Buffalo Business First
Talks between Jemal and Buffalo could lead to deal that funds cars returning to Main Street